Seashell Salad

Koach

• Administrators

My grocery store sells this really good, homemade, seashell salad. Since, it's pretty expensive, I have tried hard to duplicate it, but have been unsuccessful.

So, the other day, I asked the cook for the store if I could get the recipe.
The young lady behind the counter said, "we make it and let me ask the cook for the recipe.

She came back with a hispanic woman about my age who said, "10$ for the recipe, and held out her hand.)
I just laughed, and they all laughed with me.

Then she told me what she used to make it.

It was basic ingredients, but one of the problems I have had is finding the exact seashell noodle she uses, so I asked where she gets that size pasta.

She laughed and said she uses all the store brands, which is the cheapest.

And then, she came out and took me around the store to show me exactly what she uses lol.

It was just generic seashell pasta, generic italian dressing, red bell pepper and green onion.
But, I asked her, it looks like there is some dill in it it. She laughed and said, yes, but I just throw some in for appearance.

=================

Seashell salad (Conchiglie salad)

2 cups conchiglie pasta (not seashell pasta, but conchiglie pasta, which tastes much better).
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup generic italian dressing
1/2 teaspoon dill weed

Cook the conchiglie pasta al dente (firm to the bite, slightly chewy) about 10-12 minutes.
Drain and rinse in cold water until cool.

Chop and mix the rest of the ingredients, then add to the the cooked conchiglie pasta.
Refrigerate salad before eating.
Add more Italian dressing if needed.

• Administrators

I have one fairly similar and it's really good, we are lucky here to be able to get fresh pasta from a couple of the small delicatessens in town that are owned by Italians.  When I make a salad for dinner (which is most nights) I use lettuce, sliced cherry tomatoes (or semi-sundried tomatoes), cucumber, fetta cheese, slices of avocado and on one side add a dollop of pasta salad.  I don't use capsicum (bell pepper) as they make me ill.  Mostly I dress a salad with an egg mayonnaise or a French dressing.

• 5 months later...

Celery Seed Vinaegarette

1/2 cup sugar

1 - tsp dry mustard

1 - tsp salt

1/4 of a small onion grated

1/3 cup of vinegar

1 - cup olive oil

1 - tbsp celery seed

Place the ingredients in a mason jar.  Screw the lid on and shake vigerously until well blended.  I serve this on sea shell pasta but any cold pasta will do.