Mother

Last night around 8PM my mother was on her way from her bedroom to the den where I was. Remember my mother also has Hashimoto"s. She got dizzy and hit her head kind of hard on a desk. I called 911 and they sent out an ambulance and they got her. By the time they got here I had the boys up and getting dressed and got a pillow under her head. She was admitted and is going to have some tests done on Wednesday and Thursday. My oldest sister is with her at the Hospital and my other sister is due in here soon. I am going to have to hit the store later and stock up on some groceries. Because the boys did not get much sleep I am going to keep them at home today. Yes I am on my Zoloft.

Thanks. Mother was discharged this morning. She has a big bump on her noggin. I called her Greenville Doctor and he wants to see her as soon as we can get her back there. My sister is going to take her with her and her husband will drive her car. I think they are planing to leave tomorrow morning.

• Administrators

Please pass on my best wishes to your mum, Dawn.   I'm sure she is in very good hands with the family and her doctors and will be ok.  It's definitely a worry for you all, and for your mum also.   Big hugs to you and your mum from me xx 

I have not been in chat much over the last several days because I have not really felt all that sociable. I noticed my sister had posted a bit about mother in facebook so I decided to 'come clean'. My mother has several medical issues. In addition to Hashimoto's mother also has epilepsy. To date this has not been much of an issue just causing her to have a 'tic' on her face. However her physician wants to do another workup to make sure this is not getting worse. My largest fear with this problem is her father had epilepsy and so did two of her brothers. Uncle Mike does NOT have this and so far it has not shown up with his kids or grand kids.  I asked mother to stop driving and sell her car if these tests come back positive. I might at some point have to start staying with mother some through the summer while the boys are out of school for the summer. Moving to Greenville will cause a huge problem for Josh. Speaking of Josh my only contact with him is US mail. He sent me an email telling me they were leaving the Gulf area and would be in the Indian Ocean and out of contact. It's my opinion he is headed to the south China sea to join up with the deployed carrier there. I did get lunch with one of Josh's friends the other day and this officer told me that it was 100% that Josh was going to be named a carrier XO this summer. He gave me a name but I am not going to disclose it. I recorded all of the races at Daytona over the weekend for Josh and will be putting that SD card in the mail this morning. Maybe next year we can actually take the boys and go watch the race live.

Mother is not going to do an MRI. What she has did is go and get hooked up for a 24 hour EEG this morning. If this EEG comes back negative there will be no MRI. If however the EEG uncovers something a MRI will be scheduled. I do feel better that one of my oldest sisters daughters is moving in with her for the time being. She is in nursing school in Greenville and this is working out good for her. I have plans to take the boys and go there during spring break.

• Administrators

It sounds like your mum is in the best of care, Dawn.  Hope the results of all her tests are positive.   Re Josh, I guess that's the life of a navy wife, it would be hard to be patient I'm sure.   My niece is really looking forward to her husband returning next month, she and her girls have missed him.  She works and has found being mum and dad to two little girls can be hard at times.   I think, no matter what job our husbands hold, we find there are always compensations to be made to fit the work around the marriage.  I was lucky, I was able to move and live with my husband during his career so that made it easier.   

Well I got a shock and surprise this morning. Josh called me while just off the Virginia Beach coast telling me to put my butt in gear and come pick him up. Seems that because this was an unscheduled deployment the Navy called his ship and one other home. They had to go into Pearl Harbor. Right now Josh is outside trying to fix a small issue with his pickup (no I did not hit a sign). Josh will be officially on leave starting March the first till March the 10th. He is also losing his XO and several Division officers to transfers. Josh's new XO will be aboard in a few days. Boy will the boys be in for a pleasant surprise when they get home.

My sister called me a few minutes ago. Mother is OK, the MRI and the EEG is not showing anything new. The doctor thinks she just had a drop in blood pressure that caused her to pass out.

• 3 weeks later...

I just spoke to my mother this afternoon. She had some testing done at Duke Medical Center. Mother has Heart valve disease. She is going to need a replacement valve. Nothing else I can do except try to stay close to her. I am not sure where this is going to be done yet.