Aftermath of covid-19

Nan

• Administrators

Below is the personal "journey" of the daughter of the friend of my cousin, her name is Megan.   This young woman lives in the UK and is in her 20s and she got covid last year.    She posted on her Facebook what her life is like these days and some obstacles she's facing due to the after effects of having covid.   This does not apply to everyone who gets the virus, some die, some recover, but it is known that for many, there are health problems that will continue for years due to the damage that the virus can do.    I believe everyone should read it and be aware of what is possible.

"Yesterday was an anniversary, of sorts. 6 months since I was tested positive for Covid-19. 6 months of being sick. Of learning about the virus along with medical professionals. Of finding my new normal. As we move towards the winter months, on the brink of a second wave, and lockdown looms large, I wanted to speak, again, about how we need to be taking this seriously. I wanted to talk about how I check my o2 levels frequently, monitor my heart rate constantly, take inhalers and medications to try and soothe my scarred and tired lungs, relieve the pain in my joints, boost my immune system. I can’t leave the house without a walking stick now. I was approved for a blue disabled parking badge, forcing me to acknowledge my new limitations. I sleep for hours at a time and still feel exhausted, completely debilitated by fatigue. Symptoms come and go, and even now, six months later, new symptoms are affecting my everyday life. I still can’t work, I still can’t be spontaneous. Even taking a shower is a carefully planned and considered event, and - depending on whether or not I faint in the shower - anything up to a couple of hours is needed to rest afterwards. I am still in my 20s. I was healthy before I caught covid. Now making a sandwich feels like an accomplishment. I know that lockdown feels scarier in the winter, that longer evenings and colder days feel lonelier. But understand that covid hasn’t gone anywhere, and the ‘two week and it’s done’ narrative isn’t always true. Be careful. Be safe. Be responsible. Wear your mask. Look after yourself and your loved ones. Stay healthy."

• 2 weeks later...