1948 RCA/Victor Television Project

TV_Tech

Here is a picture of the old television I bought. This is as it was found in an attic. It's complete and untouched so it's a perfect candidate for a rebuild. I checked the picture tube and it tests like new and all the transformers also test good. I've picked up a complete set of NOS (new old stock) tubes for it and am now waiting on the replacement capacitors.

post-257-0-59744200-1349124407_thumb.jpg

post-257-0-30378200-1349124433_thumb.jpg

Here is the chassis pulled from the set. I have some of the replacement tubes in place already. The disconnected wires in front of the power transformer are where the B+ bleeder resistor (tested open) attaches. This resistor is a very strange valued beast so I'll have to make one up that'll be a close match to the original and still supply the proper voltages to the various circuits in the set. Note all the tubular components on the under side of the chassis that look to be dripping fluid. Those are the wax/paper capacitors I'll be replacing, 32 in total. The paper deteriorates over time causing short circuits (bad news). Some folks prefer to hollow the insides of the old caps and stuff the new ones inside to maintain an origianal chassis appearance but since I plan to keep and use this set I won't be going to that extreme with this re-build. I'll also be checking the value of each and every resistor. Any that have drifted off 20% or more of their value will be replaced as well. Now where is that mail man with the replacement capacitors??

post-257-0-04967000-1349130029_thumb.jpg

post-257-0-47713400-1349130053_thumb.jpg