January 23, 2016: Lorelei by jerome Charyn

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EST) on January 23, 2016 (00:30 A.M., January 24 (GMT)), for a discussion of "Lorelei" by Jerome Charyn.  The story is a contemporary one telling the tale of a somewhat lovable con-man who winds up symbolically crashing on the rocks because of the seductive song of the sirens.  Its a bit of a change of pace from our recent stories, and I think you will all enjoy it.

Charyn is a contemporary writer, with some 30 novels, several non-fiction books, and many short stories to his credit.  Over the past 50 years he has a built a reputation as an inventive and prolific chronicler of real and fictional American life.  This story is my first encounter with his work, but I will attempt to locate additional stories by him for my own enjoyment and potential use in future Readers' Corner chats.

The story was published in the August 2010 (Fiction) edition of the Atlantic Monthly and can be found on line at:  http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/08/lorelei/308038/

Meeting Place: 

mIRC Users: /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I hope to see you all at the chat.