2007:07/14 The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe

Koach_Bot

I ponder Poe - delighting people perpetually

Well... we left no stone unturned during our discussion of The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe.

Koach presented a rock solid theory regarding the Montressor Motive, while Picker chipped away at the concept of a wine cellar in catacombs. We had a fair amount of dissent which made it a wonderful chat. (I think you'll see the rankings support that). In the end, we realized that nothing is cast in stone and that adds to the fun of the chat. I think the other MAJOR contribution to the great chat was our new regulars - z and FF !

In case you missed it at the end of the chat, I posted a few youtube's of the story - one an animated musical the other a very fair and entertaining portrayal of the story. Here they are again.

4 min

2a. http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtDdxpxb3l-Y 8 min only part 1 !

2b. http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DODWyEJMcr2Y part 2

Here is how the rankings stacked up:

Interest/Entertainment Value: 4.1 (4,5,4,4,4,5,4,3)

Artistic/Social Value: 4.1 (4,5,4,4,5,5,3,3)

Discussion: 4.85 (5,5,5,5,5,4,5)

(I'm going to check but unless you hear otherwise - this was our best ranked story and chat to date!).

See you next week - bring a friend !! And if you were new this week, next week you won't be! Share the reading - you can each read every other word lol.

grip

Ranking Scales:

Interest or Entertainment Value:

5--One of the most engrossing stories I have ever read

4--Very entertaining, I would recommend it to my friends

3--A good read, I might recommend it to people whom I know share my interests or tastes

2--I would not recommend this story to others

1--A really bad read, I am sorry I wasted my time with it

Artistic Value (Social/Emotional content)

5--A work of art, pulitzer prize material.

4--A significant contribution to literature

3--Well written

2--Pretty Forgettable

1--Garbage

Discussion - we have an unscientific scale, just 1 (ychh!) to 5 (yay!!) and have just started having this ranking. Any ideas about specific traits on the scale to rank by are welcome.