2007:04/16 Sci-Fi Humor:They're Made of Meat:Sleight of Hand

Koach_Bot

We had a different kind of chat on Sunday April 22.

8 active chatters spent the first 30 minutes discussing "They're Made of Meat" by Terry Bisson. The overall ranking for the story was 3.8, based on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being 'the best'. Star provided a link for a visual - a short film of the story (7 minutes) ey%27re+made+out+of+meat%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uswhich by now has been enjoyed by all. Additionally, Koach provided this insightful link highlighting an interview with the author: http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue366/interview.html

Following the standard 5 minute break, we then discussed "Sleight of Hand" by Simon Haynes (our first Austrailian author) for about 30 minutes. The overall ranking for this story was 3, based on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being 'the best'.

Following the individual story discussions, we spent our last segment of time comparing the 2 stories. At its conclusion, we rated the format of the evening itself on the following scale:

3 - It was fun, I would like to see it again

2 - It was so-so, I may or may not attend a chat in this format again

1 - Ugh! No - it just didn't work for me and would prefer it not be repeated

Six of the chatters gave the format a '3', while two chatters ranked it a '1' indicating they prefer a single story and author for more in-depth research and discussion. We then discussed maybe repeating the format with 2 stories by a single author sometime.

Sorry it took so long to post this, most of you know I've had horrible computer problems this week. NOTE our day and time change for the next chat !

grip