What does it mean?

Stormy

How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? Some people say there is NO difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.

What do you think?

I'll leave this for a week, then post the best answer along with the answer that I think is best.

Check on Friday March 11, 2016 for the answers

Complete primary meaning is " all there", as in the whole ball of wax.  An automobile is complete if all of the various parts are there.. 

Finished means done, over, nothing more to do.

a finished project is a completed project...but that sense of the words is a secondary meaning of each.

A well finished cabinet means that the surface has been sanded, polished, and rubbed to the most attractive appearance.

A compete pie is one which does not have a slice missing.

So when i pie is done the work is finished and the pie is complete.  once a piece has been eaten it is no longer complete.  and when all the pieces have been eaten it is really finished.

finished has other meaning..  when I say a television set or radio is finished, it can mean the work has been completed (performed) or it's the end of the line for it (not worth repairing).  a puzzle can be complete but far from finished.  there is a middle of the road too with "it's days are numbered".

Sorry, I was out of it yesterday.

I have to say that Dawn gave the answer closest to mine.

My complete answer follows

"*When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE.When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED and, when the right one catches you with the wrong one,you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!!!"

• 1 month later...