June 13th 2015: Ray Bradbury's "Zero Hour"

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EDST) on June 13th, 2015 (00:30 A.M., June 14th (GMT)), for a discussion of Zero Hour by Ray Bradbury.  The story is set in 20th century suburbia and the normalcy of the setting and characters adds to the macabre development and creepy feeling of the tale.  We owe our very own Dash Riprock for recommending this story (thank you Dash), and I believe that I am safe in predicting that you will find very little hidden symbolism in the work.

We have discussed several Bradbury stories in the past, so he really needs no introduction.  I feel certain that you will appreciate the story.

The story is available as a downloadable .doc file from the website:  http://chausseclasses.wikispaces.com/Science+Fiction+Short+Stories

Scroll down the web page to the entry for Zero Hour Short Story .Doc and click the download link.  The .doc file can be opened with Word, word pad, open office writer, and several other word processing programs.

As a bonus an audio file to a radio broadcast of the story from 1955 is also available on that web page.  Scroll down to the entry for zerohour script of 1955 play.pdf.  If you want a copy of the radio script, download the pdf.  Better yet click the link to Audio Suspense: Ray and listen to a recording or the actual broadcast in your browser.

I must note that the website is an educational one designed for use by students in Freshman year of high school.  There are some notes on vocabulary and some discussion points included with the story.  I don't think those notes will interfere with your enjoyment.

Meeting Place: 

Webchat: http://koach.com/cha...=readers_corner 

mIRC Users: /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

Hope you all can make it, and don't forget to bring a friend

LOG ATTACHED:  readers log June 13 2015.txt