Postponed Chat: May 16th moved to May 23th: "The Driver’s Seat" by Adam Gopnik

Smiley

The best laid plans of mice and men--well, we know our Bobby Burns.  Real life prevented many of our regular members of attending the planned chat on the 16th, so we who were present agreed to postpone the discussion until the 23rd.  S.ee changes below:   :(   

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EDST) on May 23rd, 2015 (00:30 A.M., May 24th (GMT)), for a discussion of The Driver's Seat by Adam Gopnik.  The story was published in the February 2, 2015 edition of The New Yorker.  Gopnik is a staff writer for the magazine.  This particular piece does not fit easily into a mold...it certainly isn't fiction, claiming to be true "personal history" of the author (a mini-autobiography if you like).  I strongly suspect that most of the action described actually occurred but that most of the dialog (especially the internal thoughts of the writer are significantly embellished.  At any rate, it is a story...even true stories are stories...and I believe we will enjoy discussing it.

Spoiler alert:  The story narrowly escapes being sentimentally nostalgic and barely manages not to be didactically moralistic.  (Wow, I would get all sorts of chat points for that sentence if I uttered it in #readers_corner.)  Lest I scare you off, let me assure you,however, that the story is a pleasant read.  I think you will enjoy it and consider it well worth the time invested in reading it.

The story is available on line at: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/02/drivers-seat

Meeting Place: 

Webchat: http://koach.com/cha...=readers_corner 

mIRC Users: /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I'll bring a bag of pretzels, bring your own beer  (or perhaps in this case, a shaker of manhattans).  Dont forget to bring a friend.

LOG ATTACHED:  readers log 5 23 2015.txt