What the US should do but won't because we're stubborn/closed-minded.

Zimri

• Administrators

Most of the ideas in the article would be nice, but are really just a dream. Let's take a look at some of them.

1. Giving 50% Tax Breaks During The Christmas Season

How do we pay for the lost tax revenue caused by reducing the taxes during the Holiday Season? The normal taxes on sales during the holiday season are counted on by our government to pay for other benefits. Also, considering that the total sales are much larger during the holiday season and therefore, the lost tax revenue would be larger than other times of the year. So, while this idea is nice, its just not practical.

2. Free Maternity Box To All New Mothers

The idea behind this idea is to give all babies an equal start in life, regardless of the wealth they are born into, and has helped Finland achieve one of the lowest infant mortality rates in the world. Again, a nice idea, but it will not help a baby get an equal start in life. Familes that can afford it will provide their baby with all the supplies needed, regardless of cost. In the U.S. low income families already are supplied with a lot of the things to get them started. When my daughters had their babies, they went home from the hospital with a large package of diapers, baby wipes, baby bottles, and some baby food. After that is used up, they will receive lots of free sample and coupons to replace the baby supplies they have used. And, of course, how will we pay for all this?

3. Free Subway Rides In Return For Squats

This idea is a riot, but I'd definately support it. It seems our entire country is out of shape and if we can get people to do exercises,  I am all for it. But, we might have to take 50% off the fare rather than free subway rides. I really have no idea how much the tokens raise to pay for the subways so, it's possible we can not afford this either.

4. Speeding Ticket Lottery

In many states, cities, and towns the income from traffic violations is important for the law enforcement entities to pay for officers, new equipment, etc. So, while lotteries are nice, I don't think I'd support this idea.

5. Reduced Prison Sentences For Readers

This might work, but we'd have to be careful how the reductions in sentences are formed. There have been a lot of truly evil people in prison and many of them were quite educated and already avid readers.

6. No Criminal Penalties For Drug Possession

In a way, the legalization of marijuana does this idea already, by eliminating criminal penalties for small quantities. I support this idea because the marijuana is heavily taxed and in Colorado, our school systems benefit from the added funds from the taxes. That said, I disagree strongly with this sentence, "In 2001, Portugal decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin. The stronger and addictive drugs should not be so easily available. Think of the young people that might find their parents stash, and take a dose way too strong for them.

7. Rainy Day National Oil Fund

Again, how do we pay for it? If we remove billions of dollars in taxes (I am guessing at the figure) from our tax fund, what other projects do we cut due to lack of funds.

There are other ideas in the article, but in every case, how do we pay for it?

Interesting article though lol

• Administrators

I think Koach is right in his responses to several of the suggestions.  It also seems that different things have been collected from all over the world and thrown together as a "bundle" for the USA.  The cost to one country utilising all of those suggestions would be rapid economic failure at the very least.

A couple of suggestions I noted were "Paid Sick leave", "Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave", "Free Museum Passes", and a couple of others.  These are schemes we have in Australia already.   As well we have the baby bundle and each new mother gets $3000 when she has a baby although unfortunately in low income families you often see a new TV being delivered, rather than baby essentials.  I also noted a lot of the better ideas were from Scandinavian countries who have a really good record in how they look after their citizens, but who also have much smaller populations to the USA as well as a higher ratio of  citizens working and contributing to the country's economy in the first place.  I quite liked the oil and petrol tax idea, however not the full 100% of tax as that would leave holes in the day to day economy, perhaps 10% of those taxes raised could go to a Rainy Day Fund.

Several of the suggestions were really quite funny and obviously not meant to be taken seriously by anyone with half a brain.   

Having spent the past week helping a fund raising group who are helping a small country after it was devastated by a huge cyclone last weekend, I also think that people generally need to look  out for themselves more and stop expecting Governments and other organisations to fund them.  Bring back the extended family unit and take responsibility for yourself.  In a third world country that lost everything, houses, utilities, crops etc.  7 days ago, today people are back at work, roads are cleared, electricity, water and phones have been restored and everyone is pulling their weight to help others get their lives back to normal as quickly as possible.  Government handouts?   they don't get any, there is no social security, everyone works at something to contribute to the family unit and nobody gets a freebie.