Molokheya with rabbits

Henry

This is a famous Egyptian recipe especially when served with plain rice and baladi green salad. It can also be cooked with chicken and in Alexandria moloukhia is cooked with shrimp.

7.JPG

Cuisine :                           Egyptian 

Main ingredients:            Molokeya, Rabbits, Garlic 

Time of preparation        25 Minutes 

Time of cooking              25 Minutes 

Serving                              4

Ingredients 

1 Rabbit ,or 1 chicken 

1/2 kg Molokheya Farm Frites 

1 1/2 tbsp Garlic ,crushed 

1 1/2 tbsp Coriander ,dried and ground 

3 tbsp Margarine 

Salt 

Directions

Wash rabbits or chicken well then boil until are tender. Strain and reserve 3-4 cups of rabbit or chicken broth. Cut rabbit into 5 pieces and cut chicken into 4 quarters. 

In a medium skillet, add 2 tbsp margarine. Fry rabbit or chicken pieces until golden. 

In a deep pan heat reserved broth and bring to boil over high heat. Add 1 tsp coriander and ½ tbsp garlic. Reduce heat, add molokhia and leave to boil once, uncovered. You can add more broth if texture is too thick.

While molokhia is boiling, in a small skillet heat 1 tbsp margarine then add 1 tsp coriander, 1 tbsp garlic and stir until golden brown. Immediately pour components of skillet onto molokhia in pan. Don’t stir. Take off heat and half cover pan for 2 minutes. Stir molokhia just before serving. Serve molokheya in a bowl and serve rabbits separately in a platter. 

Adapted from :

• Administrators

Great recipe !   I love rabbit but haven't had it for ages and like Koach, not sure if I can buy it locally.  My mother used to make a great rabbit casserole and also crumbed rabbit.  I shall have to see if I can get some, and if not, will try the recipe and substitute chicken