Homemade Soft Pretzels without Yeast

Nan

• Administrators

I've seen some talking about soft pretzels, something I hadn't heard of so I looked to see if I could buy them in Australia. It seems there is a store in Perth and another in Melbourne or Sydney, but nothing near where I live and frozen ones are unheard of. So I searched for a recipe. I didn't want to go to the bother of using yeast and waiting for it to rise etc. so I looked for a recipe that didn't require yeast. I found one by an Australian chef who lived in America for a while and wanted to have soft pretzels at home so she devised the recipe below. I tried it today, they taste really nice to me but of course I have no idea if they taste at all like the soft pretzels you can buy in American. Anyway the recipe is below:

Ingredients:

2 cups (500ml) All purpose Flour

3 tbsp Unsalted Butter

2 tbsp White Sugar

2 tsp Baking Powder

1/3 (75ml) cup Full Cream Milk

pinch of salt

Coarse Salt or Salt Flakes

1 Egg - beaten

(Note: I am going to try adding some grated cheese to my mix next time)

Rub the Unsalted Butter into the Flour until it looks like crumbs. Add Sugar, Baking Powder and Salt and mix together. Add Milk slowly till all the ingredients are wet. Do not add all the milk at once. You have to make sure that the dough is not too sticky, but also not too dry. If you need more milk, you can add another drop. Once the dough is formed you do not have to let it rest, you can work with it straight away.

Divide the dough into smaller balls. Roll out each ball into a long snake. Twist them into shape and put onto prepared baking sheet. Once you have made all your pretzels, brush them with the egg (egg wash) and sprinkle with coarse salt or salt flakes.

Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes (depending on size of your pretzels) - they should be nice and golden on the top.

Serve warm. You can serve them as is or with a delicious dipping sauce. Think honey and mustard dipping sauce or even a spicy salsa or nice guacamole sauce.

Hope they taste good !

• 2 weeks later...