Surgery

T-Rok

Hi All

Last August my surgeon tried to repair my knee in a arthroscopy surgery after all other treatments failed however when he got in there he discovered the damage was much worse than he expected. There is nothing left in my knee ( no cartiledge or meniscus ) making my knee very painful and very unstable due to it being bone on bone. He cleaned it up while he was in there but there was nothing else he could do. So although I am very young for this surgery my surgeon decided I need a total knee replacement.

I'm going into the hospital March 13th for a total knee replacement surgery. I will be in the hospital ( min.) 5 days then ( barring any problems or complications ) I will be coming home where a nurse and physiotherapist will be coming for 3 weeks to check on me and give me physiotherapy. After that I will have another 6 weeks of physio at the hospital or CLSC. I will also have my family here to look after me. As a part of my pre admission I had to meet with a social worker ( amongst many others - it was a day long event ) to ensure family and everything is in place so I can come home and not have to go to a rehab center. I have to say the hospital is very thorough with checklists of things that need to be bought and done at home/gotten ready for when I come home.

With this new knee I will be the 1/2 million dollar woman and am looking forward to being able to walk and do what I want without a cane, assistance or pain.

T-Rok

I am sooooo glad that my arthroscopic knee surgery worked so that I didn't have to go thru the replacement.

I know several people who have had it and they are all now fully functional and hitting their golf balls farther than can I, so you should do just fine and in two months be as good as new.

Keep us posted and, as Koach says, the knee joint is not connected to the chatting fingers.

• Administrators

Hope it all goes well for you T-Rok, it sounds like you have the very best of care in hospital and at home. I have to agree with Koach as I have also heard chatting when recovering from full knee replacement surgery, is an excellent way to recover quickly :P