Scones (English-Australian version)

Nan

• Administrators

We were talking food in kws as we tend to do and cooking scones came up. It seems that scones in America are quite different to the scones we eat here in Australia. Our scones are eaten with a tea or coffee for morning or afternoon tea or as a supper, and can be sweet or savoury

Here is my mother's recipe which I use when I make them:

SIFT 8oz or 2 large cups of Self Raising Flour - 1/2 level teaspoon salt - 1 bablespoon sugar

RUB IN lightly with fingertips 1 tablespoon of table margarine or butter until it is all mixed

POUR nearly all of 1 cup of milk in at once, keeping back 1-1/2 tablespoons for glazing later

MIX the above into a soft dough with a knife - don't overwork it

Turn the ball of dough onto a well floured board or a pastry sheet and knead it lightly a few times with your hands

Roll out lightly about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with a floured knife or a small circular cutter, glaze tops with milk and place on a greased and floured slide or tray.

Have a very hot oven that is ready at 475F and place the tray in the oven and cook for 10 to 12 minuntes.

Makes one dozen

Serve with jam and whipped cream and a cup of tea or coffee

scones_and_jam_2.jpg

PS: you can add some pumpkin to the mixture and have pumpkin scones which are slightly savoury and served with butter and a cuppa.

Enjoy !

• Administrators

I omitted to mention that once your scones are cooked and ready to serve (best served warm) you should break them in half with a knife and top each half with jam and a dab of cream.