International Pancake Day

Pancake

As one that many consider around here as a "chef" of sorts, I must bring it to everybody's attention that February 21st is considered International Pancake Day. So what I want you to do is post your favourite pancake or crepe recipes. I'm probably going to be flooding the hell out of this thread with various pancake recipes that I've come to enjoy and love.

Why am I so obsessed with pancakes, you ask? It's because, personally, it was one of the first things that I learned how to make properly. On a more important perspective about pancakes, they bring joy to everybody of all ages. If an 86 year old man can enjoy pancakes for breakfast, anybody can. So you can look back in the days where your mum and dad would make you pancakes, or you can even remember the moments that you've felt crappy and made your own pancakes - just remember the awesomeness of the incredible pancake.

So away we go... ~

Yoghurt Pancakes

Ingredients:

2 cups of All-Purpose Flour

2 Tablespoons of Sugar (opt out if you're using any flavoured yoghurts!)

2 teaspoons of Baking Powder

1 teaspoon of Baking Soda

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups of yoghurt (plain or flavoured - 16 ounces)

1/4 cup of water

Special Ingredients: Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, Dried Fruit, or whatever you wish..

In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar).

In a separate bowl, whisk the two eggs and follow with mixing the wet ingredients (yoghurt and water).

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones.

From here, it should be straight-forward. If you want to be specific, try pouring in 1/4th cup intervals into your skillet or frying pan. To add your "special ingredients", simply sprinkle them onto the pancake while it's cooking. Only flip it over once you begin to see bubbling on the top.

If you're wondering why I would even -try- making some type of yoghurt pancake, it's because I've been chronically obsessed with yoghurt in general lately (past month or so). Therefore, it was a must-try. - Endae/David

Regular Pancake Recipe

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups of All-Purpose Flour

3 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Powder

1 teaspoon of Salt

1 tablespoon of Sugar

1 1/4 cup of Milk

1 egg

3 tablespoons of Butter (or Margarine), melted

Optional Ingredients:

1 teaspoon of Vanilla flavouring

1 half teaspoon of cinnamon (or just a "dash")

1 half teaspoon of nutmeg (or just a "dash")

Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, powder, salt, sugar - and optionally, cinnamon and nutmeg) into one bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in all of the wet ingredients (milk, egg, melted butter - optionally, vanilla flavouring). From here, mix until smooth.

I highly recommend trying to pour 1/4 cup portions into your griddle/skillet/frying pan for each pancake to make it even and happy. This is my most common base pancake recipe, no matter what else I add - this is the essential 90% of the time.

Next up are some crepes. I know that, for Americans, crepes aren't very common compared to that of other countries (especially Europe/UK). However, one of the most unique things about crepes is that they turn the process of pancakes into something even MORE flexible. While regular, fluffy pancakes are the "bees knees" (ehe..), crepes are basically their cousin from a parallel dimension that came here to show us what we're missing out on. In other words, you can stuff crepes with just about anything and still make it work. So here are some crepe recipes (following this post) that you can always experiment with. All I have tried, most (if not all) are not my own. However, I refuse to put up a recipe that I haven't personally performed and tasted.

Happy Pancake Day to everybody. Try to find the time to make yourself something you find in this thread on February 21st of every year. It's just one of those things that makes the holiday that much more special. I mean come on, it's not THAT hard to make a pancake..

Creamy Chicken Crepes

Ingredients

Crepe Ingredients -

1 cup of flour

1 1/4 cups of milk

1 egg

1 egg yolk

A pinch of salt

Filling ingredients -

600g (about 21oz) of chicken tenderloins, chopped into small pieces

300g (about 10oz) of bacon, chopped into small pieces

1 onion, chopped

190g (6oz) of WET (in a can) champignon (or your favourite type) of mushrooms

2 tablespoons of sour cream

To make the crepes, you should mix all ingredients and let it sit for about 30-40 minutes. Do not use the mix before it has sit for this time. It allows it to 'air' itself out and make it easier to make a thin crepe (unlike regular pancakes, they're not thick and fluffy). As usual, pour 1/4 cup of the batter into a round pan. Treat it similar to a regular pancake, as in allowing it to cook before flipping. KEEP IT AS THIN AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY CAN!

For the filling, you're going to have to brown the chicken into another pan. Add in the bacon pieces and the chopped onion and let it cook until it's all golden brown. Reduce this until all the ingredients are back to being as dry as they can. Put ingredients into a bowl, put in the 2 tablespoons of sour cream and mix well.

Add only about 2 tablespoons onto the crepe (once you've taken it out of the pan!) and roll it. And dig in!

Simple Dinner Crepe Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup of All-Purpose Flour (or whole wheat flour if you're in that mood)

1/4 teaspoon of salt

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup of water

1 egg

Mix all of the ingredients together into a medium-sized bowl. It's going to be thinner than that of pancake batter. You can use a food processor or use a wand to mix the ingredients. Just remember the most important rule with crepes: THERE SHOULD BE NO LUMPS WHATSOEVER INTO THE BATTER! With pancake batter, it's a bit more forgiving if you have a few lumps .. crepes are NOT like that. These are very, very thin. One lump can be massive due to this.

Pre-heat your pan on medium heat. Then raise it up into the air (by its handle, obviously) and pour the batter in. Once again 1/4 cup of batter is just right. While you're pouring, move the pan so that the batter moves to all sides of the pan - filling its shape as much as you can (but keeping it thin!). When the edges begin to peel away from the pan or they're slightly golden (which ever comes first), use a spatula to loosen it up and flip it over. This side should cook -much- faster. Remove from the pan and fill with some of the following fillings (I will label them as fillings, instead of recipes).

Baked Potato Filling

-- USE BASIC CREPE RECIPE SEEN ABOVE --

Ingredients:

Baked Potato (leftovers are PERFECT for this recipe, but you're not using the skin)

Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Any other herbs or spices you generally enjoy in a baked potato (also, to taste)

Your favourite kind of cheese (I personally go for cheddar or mozzarella)

Green peas

Bell peppers, chopped

Red onion, chopped

... basically ANYTHING YOU'D LIKE ON A BAKED POTATO! That's the whole point of this filling is to make a crepe filled with your favourite kind of baked potato.

While making your crepe (be careful and pay attention to it), you can start with the ingredients. Mush up the baked potato (not the skin!) and spice it to your taste (pepper, salt, paprika, onion salt.. whatever). Personally, I like to take the chopped onion, peas, and bell pepper and cook them off into a separate pan. Once your crepe is half done, you should then (instead of flipping it), fill it with the ingredients you've chosen (minus cheese and sour cream!). You'll want to add the cheese on the side facing up while it's cooking. Sour cream comes after you plate it (unless you want a heck of a mess).

Happy International Pancake Day!

This is the day that all should be making some pancakes or crepes. Ignore the waffles, they don't exist (simply because they're not as cool as pancakes, sorry to say). Right! I've posted some recipes for you to try if you're in the mood to get a little creative. However, no fret, I wouldn't blame you for using some Bisquik or Aunt Jemima instant-mix. Just make yourself a pancake or two, no matter how big, thin, small, fluffy they are. ~