Irene

grip

I'm sure I am not the only 'east coaster' on koach.com and would be interested in others checking in to say how they are making out with this monster hurricane.

Personally, I am at my parents home on Chesapeake Bay today - not terribly far from Norfolk. It has been a VERY long day, but so far - so good. We anticipate the high tide tonight about 9pm to bring the greatest surge and challenge in terms of high water. Lucky with power so far, a few brownouts and just moments of complete loss, but amazingly - not a prolonged outage.

The injuries and fatalities I have heard about have (except in 1 case) all involved people that are out and trees fall on them or their cars or other debris has caused a tragedy. Don't GO OUT if you DON'T HAVE TO !!! You just cannot guess or react quickly enough if mother nature has other plans.

One fatality was a young child who was speared by a tree that fell through his family's 2nd story apartment.

Anyway EASTERNERS ... if you are affected, please let us know how you are doing !

grip

Just checking back in before sleep. All is ok except, ironically, lost Internet access late tonight. Am posting from an iPad which is very difficult (one finger) to type on. Tomorrow we get to see what "the day after" brings, and I get to worry about my daughters in NYC. Thanks for the well wishes and I hope for the well being and safety of anyone else that has to deal with this.