February 15th, 2019: "The Hated" by Frederick Pohl

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EST) on Fwbruary 15, 2019 [01:30 A.M. (GMT), February 16], for a discussion of "The Hated"  by Frederick Pohl.

A quick check of the archives surprised me in that we have not, at least since we have been saving story announcements in the archives, discussed a story by Frederick Pohl.  Pohl is one of the greats of Science Fiction, having won all of the major awards for SF authors.  He was an active editor and writer from 1937 until shortly before his death, at 93 years of age, in 2012. Like most of the "greats" on the genre' he focused on the societal and psychological effects of future scientific developments rather than the mechanics of those developments.

I remember the early days of the space race where there were serious concerns about the mental health of Americal astronauts who might be forced to spend long periods in space capsules or orbiting space stations either in solitude or close contact with other crew members.  Those early astronauts were subjected to all sorts of personality and psychiatric tests to assure that they could mentally cope with those stresses.  This story explores the mental stresses suffered by such persons during and after lengthy space voyages and one possible governmental decision on how to treat them. 

The story could have dealt with the crews of nuclear submarines or teams of scientists wintering over at the South Pole...but Pohl chose space travellers involved in a mission to Mars.  Whether you are a fan of science fiction or not, I believe you will understand, and appreciate, the tale.

The story is available from eastoftheweb.com (although it is not listed on the site index) at:  http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Hate914.shtml#1

As usual we will meet in the #readers_corner channel:

Webchat:  http://koach.com/cha...=readers_corner  

mIRC Users:  /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I  hope to see you all for the chat.  Don't forget to bring a friend.

•  

• Smiley pinned this topic
  • Smiley unpinned this topic