Mount Tavurvur volcano in Rabaul Papua New Guinea

Nan

• Administrators

As per a discussion, here are some photos that were taken during and the day after Mt Tavurvur erupted in 1994 together with Mount Vulcan. 

The volcano sits on the side of the harbour where the town of Rabaul is located.   Today the town has been moved a bit further away to Kokopo although we were told people are slowly moving back to Rabaul.  Rabaul and Kokopo are located on the island of New Britain in PNG.  Tavurvur has erupted since 1994 but not to the same extent.  

Note:  the photos were taken using colour film however due to the ash in the air they appear to be b&w 

Rabaul 1994 1.jpg

Rabaul 1994 2.jpg

Rabaul 1994 4.jpg

Rabaul 1994 5.jpg

Rabaul 1994 7.jpg

Rabaul 1994 8.jpg

Rabaul 1994 9.jpg

Rabaul 1994 10.jpg

Rabaul 1994 15.jpg

• Administrators

In September 2016 I was back in Rabaul and this photo shows it as it was then (it had erupted since 1994 but not as badly) .. you can see the hot springs that are almost boiling.  You can also see that the volcano itself, is not that high from ground level, but I guess there is a lot more of it under the ground.   People can walk up to the rim and back again, I didn't do it on this volcano as apparently the ash is very slippery .Volcano and hot spring.jpg

• Administrators

Yes Koach .. I've been lucky to have been able to live in a couple of countries that were definitely at first, out of my comfort zone.   I have had some great adventures along the way and I am so pleased I had the chance to do something completely different.   I learned a lot about people and different cultures along the way too :)