September 9th, 2017: "Whippoorwill" by J. K. Fox

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EDST) on September 9th, 2017 [00:30 A.M. (GMT), September 10th], for a discussion of Whippoorwill by J. K. Fox.  The story is an offering of the Saturday Evening Post and is a kind of late life "bromance" story (guy meets guy, guy hates guy, guy eventually decides to become friends with guy.)  It's a sentimental tale which offers no sex, violence, political opinions, fairies, witchcraft, or spaceships whatsoever.  It is almost an "On Walden Pond" type story.

According to the mini-biography accompanying  the story, "J.K. Fox divides her time between Scotland and San Juan Island in Washington State. She holds an MA in English literature and an MS in journalism with a professional background of conservation communications and teaching. She writes about a range of topics from outdoor recreation to travel and has a passion for the Pacific Northwest."

Apropos Whippoorwills, here is the first part of a bluegrass song called "When It's Time for the Whippoorwills to Sing:

"Oh the stars and the silver moon is shining
    All around is the sweetness of the spring
    But I’m sad and in loneliness I’m pining
    For the one I know I’ll never see again

How I long for the day when I shall see her
     If it be where the angels sweetly sing
     She is mine and the thought of her grows sweeter
     When it’s time for the whippoorwill to sing"

The reference to the song will make more sense when you have read the story.

The story is available online at:  http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2016/11/04/post-fiction/contemporary-fiction-art-entertainment/whippoorwill.html

As usual our meeting will be in the #readers_corner chat room:  

Webchat:  http://koach.com/cha...=readers_corner  

mIRC Users:  /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I  hope to see you all for the chat.  Koach has once again extended his offer of a bounty of 100 chat points to anyone bringing a new member.