For ANZAC Day in Oz

Smiley

The attached mp3 is made as my offering to all the Australians and New Zealanders in honor, --I won't say celebration-- of ANZAC Day.  The song tells the story of the tragic deployment of the Australian and New Zealand forces supporting the British invasion of Turkey in 1914 / 1915.  I met my first Australian soldiers 55 years later, during my and their deployment to another terrible place and time, Vietnam.  The song was written in the 1970's, and I believe the writer intended to honor the veterans of VN war as well.

The Australians I met there proved to be strong allies as well as good friends. I have since met many more Australians, some in my travels around the world and some of them here in chat. So mates here's to all of you, and I'll get a six pack of Fosters to drink in your honor on the evening of 24th (that's daytime on the 25th in Australian time).

Band Played Waltzing Matilda.mp3

• Administrators

An Aussie classic and one that is played on ANZAC day along with other days when we remember the fallen during war.  Thanks Smiley  ... gudonya mate :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

One of the things I was pleased to see at the Dawn Service today, were the amount of children and young adults who attended.  Then later I saw an update of the service at Gallipoli and again a lot of young adults.   It is good to see that the younger generation have a great interest and respect for our veterans of war, and that they know the history of battles fought, many of them like Kokoda, Milne Bay and Guadalcanal on our doorstep, not to mention the bombing of Australia in various places.   These are things my generation and my childrens' generation have not had to deal with, but it's quite possible in the future that will change.   

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; 
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. 
At the going down of the sun and in the morning 
We will remember them."

Lest We Forget ! 

• Administrators

Adding to this post as a friend of mine found a video last night and it's too good to let it slip by.  The song was written and performed by an Australian man Slim Dusty, who was a very popular country/Aussie singer here, he paved the way for a lot of artists to get their music heard and is highly respected as a "true blue" Aussie and genuinely good man.   His song (which I had not heard before) is about Kokoda where one of the fiercest battles in the Pacific Theatre of WW2 was fought on land against the Japanese.  Australians, New Zealand and American troops were there to try and drive the Japanese back and away from Port Moresby (the capital) and from there, Australia.  They were successful and these days the Kokoda Trail (or Track as some call it) is a popular walking track if you are fit enough and brave enough to give it a go.  In the lead up to ANZAC day, there are several groups who walk from Kokoda to Owers Corner where the Track ends on the Papuan side of the country, they cross mountains, rivers to get there, and arrive on the eve of ANZAC day.  They then attend the Dawn Service at the Bomana War Cemetery outside of Port Moresby which is the largest of it's kind in the Pacific.  Here is the video about Kokoda and the brave men who fought (and died) there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RydSdjW5zi4&feature=share&app=desktop

• Smiley unpinned this topic