Get the Stories on Your Kindle Device

Odd

For all those who use kindle I was bored today and decided to read last weeks story. I looked for it on kindle and of course it wasn't on there. But I found a way to get it on my kindle device in kindle format to read on my kindle. It's going to seem complicated but once you go through the steps it's actually simple.

1) You will need to get your send-to-kindle email address which is on your amazon account device settings page. Go to my devices and "settings" and scroll down and there will be an email address for you to send files to in various formats so that it will upload it to your account.

2) You must email the files from one of the approved email accounts which is also on the same page as above ^

3) Find the story you want to read and email it on one of the supported file formats as an attachment to your send-to-kindle email address from the authorized email account.

4) If you want extra options and want to convert the story into Kindle format. Download the story or copy/paste it and save it as a pdf file. Email the story as an attachment to the send-to-kindle email address with the subject "convert" (without quotations) and it will convert the pdf file into a kindle format.

5) The story will appear on your kindle device to download/read from there.

I've done the steps above and have the story from the previous week on my Kindle to read like I read most of my literature. So Complicated. But having the ability to cut and paste and read it in Kindle format was worth the 5 minutes for me. Also, storing it in the Kindle format allows you to keep it in your Kindle collection for as long as you like to revisit it later, which I happen to like.

If you have a kindle fire (not sure about other versions of Kindle) there is a "docs" folder accessible from the selection bar at the top of your home screen (small print above the home page carousel).   You can dump any text or doc file from your computer into that directory (use the USB cable to your charger to move the file--your computer will recognise the kindle as though it were a thumb drive or memory card.  The Kindle can open the file as either a doc, txt, rtf, or pdf.  Just open the docs folder on the kindle, and touch the file you want to read.  

You can also save a file directly to that docs folder from your kindle browser.

I have an old Sony reader and can transfer the stories in .rtf  from my computer or ipad to the reader. Thanks Odd for the info about the method of loading the stories to a Kindle reader. I have every model of Kindle since the first version released, so I have a soft spot for them. I have read several short stories I liked so much that I would like to store them in my "Kindle cloud."   (Y)