Hurricane Sandy 2012

Star

Day #27 of the Hurricane Sandy response. The operation provided me with a laptop with an aircard last night, so I can work from my hotel room. New York is an amazing city. I never realized how much New York is part of our lives as Americans. Today was the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I had my first time off since I arrived, a half day. I slept! Took a taxi to work at noon and found much of the city's streets were closed due to the parade. I took a few pictures while we were backed up in traffic. One was of two policeman in front of a baracade with the street behind them empty of people and cars for as long as you could see. It reminded me of a science fiction movie. Another picture was of what must have been hundreds of policemen on one street corner surrounding a subway entrance. I asked the taxi driver what was happening. He said it was due to security for the parade. The last picture was of three little girls playing around a street light pole, laughing and singing. I thought it was cute. I wondered if these little "city girls" had ever had the opportunity to run in a field or play in a yard of their own. It is almost 3 a.m. now, and I need to go back to sleep. I woke up about an hour ago, all congested and unable to breathe. It seemed like a good time to try my Internet connection for the first time. I miss everyone so much. I've talked to gh, EB, and susan by phone and it was nice to catch up. Internet in the hotel was $14/might and is now up to $15/night. Everything here is so very expensive. I have no idea how people can afford to live here! Now that I have free connectivity, I am catching up with home manners (bills, etc.). I have to get up for work in 2 hours, so going to trying to sleep some more. Hugs to everyone!

• Administrators

Hi Star, It sounds to me you are working hard but also enjoying being in New York. I love your descriptions of the pictures you took. Perhaps when you get time you could post a couple of pics for us to see ?

Great you have internet now and hope that we get to see you when you have some spare time. We all miss you and hope it won't be too long before you can pop in for a chat :D :D (F) (F)

• Administrators

lol star, i bet NYC is like visiting a foriegn country. For most of the "city girls" i bet the only time they get to play in a field is when they visit Central Park (or one of the other much smaller parks).

I hope you are slowly getting the Sandy damage under control. We still keep seeing news reports about how bad things are.

Thanks for posting :)

Koach

Day #36. I so miss you all, so very much. Boy was I sick! I had to stay in bed 11/25, but I don't remember much. I got what was passing around here at headquarters. I have been all better for a few days now, but today started coming down with something again. This feels like a regular cold (ugh). I'm drinking lots of orange juice and eating healthy to try to keep it at bay. My boss and her minions left for dinner, so I have a chance to do hit the Internet from the office. Still 12+ hour days every day. They are talking at least through the end of January now. I keep getting a flash policy thing when trying to use webchat, so can't get in that way. Mirc seems out of the question here (at the DRO HQ) or at the hotel. I am truly the taxi princess now. When I walk down the street, they pull over for me without even waving at them. I suspect I have a NY walk now. I know I have NY attitude. I was walking with the light the other afternoon and a huge bus pulled around the corner right at me. I merely stopped mid-street right in front of him, smiled, and pointed politely at the "my turn to walk" light. I suspect the drive did not speak English because he was gesturing at me with both arms, obviously trying to communicate using sign language in his native tongue. I waved back with a big smile and proceeded on my way. My Red Cross phone number is (202) 674-0051. I would love to hear from you guys. I can't talk during the day, but after 8 p.m. or so NY time should be okay. If I don't pick up, just leave your name and number so I can find you. I need to find a long scarf somewhere. It is pretty darn cold here! The taxi fairy was good to me the other night. I found a $50 bill on the seat of the taxi when I got it (woot!). Okay, I got something of a second wind and want to wrap it up here so I can head home to the hotel. Hugs, Deb

• Administrators

Hi Deb and thanks for your message :) I'm wondering if you are going to end up being a true New Yorker and never going home to the west coast. It shounds as if you are really enjoying the work and your time there, although being sick and away from home wouldn't be too wonderful. I wonder why you can't get into our webchat at least, but maybe you aren't using your own computer? It would be great if you could pop in now and then and say hi to us all because we miss you too! I would phone you but I'm thinking it would cost a fortune from here lol. You never know I might just try it when I figure out the time differences :D

Stay safe, don't work too hard and keep us informed from time to time please .. big hugs, Nan (F)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

You are missing some great stories. Last week we had a possibly alien Howard Cosell, and this week a chick story. You don't know what you're missing lol

If the hotel is blocking port 6667, try using one of these:

6660, 7000, 7100

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a definite adventure in the "Big Apple". I know it isn't exactly the territory that you're accustomed to; but, at least you're having a new experience. Such things make life more entertaining. I'm sure it's altogether a new world to experience and learn about. Hang in there and glad to see you back on IRC and the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

• 11 months later...
  • Hurricane Sandy
  • Hurricane Sandy was the deadliest and most destructive hurricane of the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season, as well as the   second-costliest hurricane in United States history. Wikipedia
  • DateOctober 22, 2012 – October 31, 2012