Mango Cake

Pancake

This recipe is rather complicated, even though it appears remarkably simple. This is a combination of several recipes, actually. The original concept was to make a decent Chinese sponge cake (which went out of control when I was being 'showy' for an ex-girlfriend.. rofl). Alright, here we go... First we're going to start with the sponge cake itself.

Chinese Sponge Cake

1 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted

9 eggs, separated

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of water

1/4 cup of oil (vegetable, preferably - but, you can use canola and such)

1 tsp of vanilla flavouring (again, preferably - real flavouring, but imitation should suffice too)

Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar. Then start beating again until it's stiff (you'll notice the difference). Sift together the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Add to egg yolks, add the water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Pour this mixture over the egg whites gently and fold until blended. (If you do not try to do this carefully it won't get the right texture in the end!)

In my version of this cake, I used a 2x2 (inch) entremet ring at 350F for 15-20 minute (please keep an eye on it! Just make sure it's golden brown and cooked through)

The next part of the cake is a bit tricky. It's mango pudding. Yeah, it's a bit trippy. I ended up making way, way more than I needed for the cake. But it was so damn good that it didn't matter. I'm going to give you the full recipe that I used for a mango pudding.

Mango Pudding (PREPARE THIS FIRST!)

2 tablespoons of unflavoured gelatin

3/4 cup of sugar

1 cup of hot water

3 cups of pureed fresh (hopefully) mangoes

1 cup of 2% evaporated milk

8 ice cubes

Add gelatin and sugar to the hot water, mix until it all dissolves and smooth. In a separate bowl, mix the mango puree, ice cubes, and evaporated milk. Pour the gelatin mix into the mango mix, Stir. Keep stirring until those ice cubes are completely melted. Pour mixture into a mold (or a 'presentable bowl' if you're going to share some with friends outside of the cake). Let it chill for about 3 hours.

The mango pudding is going to be a THIN LAYER on the cake. I mean, really thin. In fact, you shouldn't really use more than a teaspoon or two. You can go a LITTLE crazy by adding an extra teaspoon, but we've still got some other goodies to put on this cake.

Now, we're going to have to whip up some fresh cream to use as our "frosting". I'm going to post a totally separate topic about fresh cream.. since it's so useful for cakes and desserts as a whole. However, whip your fresh cream and carefully, evenly, delicately spread it over top of the mango pudding that you've just laid on top of the cake. The smoother you can get this, the better.

Why are you being obsessive with the cream? Because you're still not done. The rest isn't a "recipe" but very delicate technique. You want to take a mango and very very thinly make strips that will go over the fresh cream. From here, it's all creative license. If you've seen my cake (i'll find a picture later), you'll see some fancy little cups I made from thin mango slices that cup around grapes. If you have any melon bits, I would use them over grapes.

Viola.

• Administrators

Fantastic ! Not a quick and easy recipe but one that will be the star attraction on the dessert plate. I remember a pic you showed of the finished product a while back. I AM going to try this one for sure, I can taste it already. I used to make a very acceptable sponge cake but that was years ago, I'll keep fingers and toes crossed the next one turns out properly :)

• 7 years later...