Book Recommendation

Smiley

One of my favorite authors is the late Michael Crichton....yes, the author of Jurassic Park and other SciFi novels turned into Hollywood blockbusters. What I like about his stories (which are much better on paper than on the silver screen) is the scrupulous attention to detail and adherence to actual scientific fact.

I recently finished reading "State of Fear" one of the last novels Crichton completed before his death. The novel deals with the political aspects of the global warming controversy, and is footnoted and contains a bibliography of various scientific studies dealing with the topic. I have taken the time to check out some of the footnotes and references and it is interesting to note how many reputable scientists have published reliable research data contradicting the current political and media contention that "global warming" exists at all, much less is a result of industrial society. Its also interesting that Crichton foresaw the swing in terminology in use by the "sky is falling" adherents (from Global Warming to Catastrophic Climate Change).

Regardless of your personal opinions on the issue, the book is well worth a read (realizing it is fiction) especially if you check out the footnotes and references (which are not fiction) with an open mind. If you have a couple of hours over the holidays, pick up a copy at your local library or pick the book up in paperback for an interesting and entertaining reading experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I seem to have some serious issues surrounding the idea of commitments. I just saw I posted the above reply a year ago and I am STILL reading the book. On a positive note, since I have been more bed bound lately, I am making progress. I brought Next and The Pillars of the Earth to the hospital with me and will finish them. This is a good opportunity to finish the myriad of books I started and never finished. I will post what I've finished here as proof I can commit to something.