Occupy (synonyms: take - seize - hold - inhabit)

Star

The Occupy movements have become quite the phenomena, so I wanted to start a place where we can share opinions and resources. A lot of cool discussions have taken place in chat, but these are lost when we log off. By moving some of the discussion here, we can follow along over time as things evolve. Personally, I find a night-and-day difference between the USA movement and those taking place in other countries.

My contribution is an interesting crowdsourced global Occupy protest map at http://occupyusa.crowdmap.com/. The map evolved from the USA and is extending to the world. A couple of universities started maps, but this map has superceded them, largely I think because it is crowdsourced and thus created by the people rather than an established and proprietary group.

Star :)

• Administrators

I think it possibly started with the best of intentions, but now, there are a lot of people involved who have no idea what it's about, other than it's a chance to rush out into the street and into a mob of people protesting and having fun.

It also appears that the unions have a pretty large influence in the protests, and I am not a fan of the unions and their bully tactics.

We need corporations, who provide jobs and investment opportunities as well as producing something we need. They say they are protesting the large salary packages and payouts to executives and I have to agree that some of those packages are excessive, but we also have to remember the people who are in those top positions are there because they have a skill that is required to run the bit companies and corporations.

I think that the governments all around the world, should be paying their politicians less, and that the "for life" pensions that politicians receive, even after only one term in office, are ridiculous.

I also wonder how many of the protestors are employed or consider it important to be employed and strive to provide for themselves and their families.

LOL, eb ... would that I could. :o

Nan, I agree totally about the first-world protests. The third-world protests are so vastly different and I wish the news would make a distinction. The first I remember is the protests in Iran where the U.S. completely ignored them. In our countries we have no idea how much courage it takes to protest in countries where they kill you and your family for participating. I suppose the term "Occupy" does make that distinction. The media might be the ones who confuse the two types of movements.

I've heard (but don't know many details) about more and more arrests occurring. On the way home from work last night I heard that Oakland, California, was going to break up their Occupy.

Joni had some good opinions in chat that other night, hope she shares some here.