ANZAC Day - 25th April

Nan

• Administrators

ANZAC Day happens in Australia on 25th April every year.

Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War and is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25th April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during WW1. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for their countries.Anzac Day is also observed in the Cook Islands, Niue and Tonga, as well as Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, France.

Every ANZAC Day there are several ceremonies held - all cities and towns have their own celebrations which include a Dawn Service, a Street March and then usually a lunch and a game of two-up at the local pub. This year I will attend the service at the gravesite of the man who held the very first Dawn Service in Australia. He was Padre White and an Anglican Padre in WW1 and he held a service with his parishoners on April 25th 1930 at Albany in Western Australia. Since then the Dawn Service is held on ANZAC Day all over Australia and NZ and in many other countries such as Gallipoli and France.

To all those who served and still serve in the armed forces, their family, descendants and friends, gather to say "thank you" for what they have done.

Lest we Forget

LestWeForget.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

It is ANZAC Day again in Australia and New Zealand.   One of the important battles fought and remembered on this day is the battle for the Kokoda Track which is in Papua New Guinea.  The Australians, assisted by the local people who became known as "Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels" fought to stop the Japanese from getting across the mountain range and into the capital, Port Moresby.

The Anzac Ode to the fallen is:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the mornhing,

We shall remember them.

Lest We Forget

Now, thinking about Papua New Guinea, they too have a dawn ceremony at the Bomana War Cemetery just outside of Port Moresby and the Anzac Ode would be translated into Pidgin English and said as follows:

Ol i no ken kamap lapun olsem yumi olgeta husat i stap yet kamap lupun
Skin bilong em i no les long taim em i olpela, na ol yia bai i no kotim em
Long taim san i go daun na long moningtaim tru
Bai yumi i holim ol long tingting bilong mipela.

Mipela i no ken lusim tingting long em.

Kokoda-Anzac.jpg