April 1st, 2017: "La Peau Verte" by Caitlín R. Kiernan

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EDST) on April 1st, 2017 [00:30 A.M. (GMT), April 2nd], for a discussion of Le Peu Verte  by Caitlan R. Kiernan.  This story was first published in 2005 in "To Charles Fort, With Love", a collection of short stories by the author.  It is available on line in the March 2017 edition of Lightspeed Magazine.

The author was born in Ireland and immigrated to the U.S. as a young girl.  Wikipedia indicates that:  Much of her childhood was spent in the small town of Leeds, Alabama, and her early interests included herpetology, paleontology, and fiction writing. As a teenager, she lived in Trussville, Alabama, and, in high school, began doing volunteer work at the Red Mountain Museum in Birmingham, Alabama and spending summers on her first archaeological and paleontological digs.  Kiernan attended college at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of Colorado at Boulder, studying geology and vertebrate paleontology, and she held both museum and teaching positions before finally turning to fiction writing in 1992...Between 1996 and 1997, Kiernan also fronted an Athens, Georgia-based "goth-folk-blues band," Death's Little Sister leaving that group when her writing career caught fire allowing her to give up her night job.

Kiernan has been classified as a Fantasy and/or Science Fiction writer.  She has received many awards and has been compared to Poe and Lovecraft for her abiilty to construct weird stories.  According to WIkipedia:  "Kiernan is transsexual, lesbian, and an atheist pagan.  She lives in Providence, Rhode Island, with her partner, photographer and doll maker Kathryn A. Pollnac." 

I feel certain that you will find this story interesting and well written,  I can't guarantee that you will like it, but I think you will appreciate it.  If you have the time to do a bit of side research you might investigate the themes of green goddesses and the mythical use of the stag as a personification of divinity (including in Christian mythology).

The story is available at:  http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/la-peau-verte/

Our meeting place remains:

Webchat:  http://koach.com/cha...=readers_corner  

mIRC Users:  /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I hope you can all make the chat, it promises to be a good one.

"Kiernan is transsexual, lesbian, and an atheist pagan."

W0W!  That is a lot  of adjectives!!  :0

Tonight, I promise to behave in chat.  

Happy-Colorful-April-Fools-Day.gif