Readers' Corner Chat for October 8th RESCHEDULED for October 15th: "CHECKSUM" Checkmate by Tony Daniel

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EDST) on Saturday, October 15th, 2016, 00:30 A.M., i.e. 0030 hrs, Sunday, October 16th (GMT), for a discussion of the story CHECKSUM Checkmate  by Tony Daniel.

Hurricane Matthew combined with some unfriendly bacteria and knocked several of our regular members off line over the weekend of October 8/9, so we postponed the discussion until the following week.  Please join us then...

Daniel, born in 1963, is an experienced science fiction writer, editor, and critic. He was a lecturer in science fiction as literature, screenplays, and in graduate writing workshops at the University of Texas at Dallas from 2006-2011. He was also senior story editor at scifi.com's Seeing Ear Theater from 2000–2002, where he wrote, produced and directed several productions.  His stories have frequently appeared in Gardner Dozois' The Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies.  As well as writing, Daniel is currently employed as an editor with Baen Books.  He lives with his wife and two children in Raleigh, NC.

This story, pure science fiction, postulates a future where artificial intelligence's assume an active roll in human endeavor.  It explores the relationships between those "AI's" in their cyborg bodies and real flesh and bones humans, as well as examining the discrimination and frictions between those two types of intelligent life.  (On one hand, the tale makes one wonder whether Fovea isn't an advance scout for a potential AI revolutionary army, on the other, it seems to examine the misunderstanding between ethnic groups in our own real world.) The story might require more than a quick read, but the quality of the writing (in my opinion) makes several readings both enjoyable and thought provoking.

The story is available from: http://www.baen.com/readonline/index/read/sku/9781618240668
The link will take you to the cover page of an anthogy, and by clicking on the chapter 1 link (or by selecting the list option) you can navigate to the story.  The entire anthology can be downloaded, gratis, in any e-reader format you choose, or you can read it on line.

Webchat address:   http://koach.com/chatlogin.php?chan=readers_corner

from that page, type in your nick name, password if you have one, and click "login".  

mIRC Users:  /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I hope you all can attend.  I look forward to some interesting discussion about the implications (both social and scientific) of the story.  And I will bring a can of contact cleaner for use by any AI's that want to join us for the discussion.