August 13, 2016: "Eros" by Nayomi Munaweera

Smiley

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M. (EDST) on August 13th, 2016 [00:30 A.M. (GMT)], August 14th, for a discussion oEros by Nayomi Munaweera.  The story was discovered by Koach unexpectedly on the CNET.com (a web based technical publication offering reviews of electronics and computer software as well as downloads of various computer applications).  The on-line magazine recently started offering a section called "Technically Literate" bringing a literary view to actual or anticipated technical developments.  This story is one of those offerings.

Eros poses the question:  "When it's impossible to distinguish true love from passion induced by an illegal chemical, does anyone really care?"  It examines the issue of marital fidelity when infatuation with another man threatens a marriage.  I brings into question the moral, societal, and economic pressures of infidelity.  Although the story falls into the general category of science fiction, I think that even those readers who do not normally appreciate scifi will like this tale.  I am absolutely certain that it will provide grist for our chat mill. 

Fair warning, the story is published using BeeLine.  According to CNET:  "Reading long-form content online can be tough on your eyes, so we're using technology from BeeLine Reader that makes reading easier and more enjoyable. BeeLine uses a color gradient that guides your eyes from the end of one line to the beginning of the next, and their tech was featured by the American Optometric Association," fortunately that feature can be disabled.

Oh, the story has some very nice illustrations on line.  If you copy/paste the story into a word processor, those illustrations will not be imported into the copy.  Some of the illustrations are large enough that you may have to scroll down to find the next section of story text, so don't confuse the end of a paragraph before the illustration as the end of the story.

The story is available on line at:  http://www.cnet.com/technically-literate/eros/#ftag=CAD-04-10aac3d 

Webchat:  http://koach.com/cha...=readers_corner  

mIRC Users:  /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

I hope to see you all at the discussion.  Don't forget to bring a friend.

Log Attached:  Readers Corner 08-13-16.txt