December 5, 2015: "Murder on the Hochflieger Ost" by Frank Chadwick

Smiley

Please Note:  Because most of our American chatters will be involved in family related travel and activities during the Thanksgiving weekend, there will be no Reader's Corner chat on November 28th.

Please join us for our next chat in #readers_corner at 8:30 P.M." (EST) on December 5, 2015 (00:30 A.M., December 6, 2015 (GMT)), for a discussion of "Murder on the Hochflieger Ost" by Frank Chadwick.  The story is an alternate history recounting an espionage operation in Europe during the turbulent times between the end of the Franco-Prussian War and the beginning of World War I.

When is a science fiction story not a sci-fi story?  Well allow me to suggest that a spy story based on historically accurate personalities and situations is such even if it does substitute a German passenger zeppelin (that did not exist until the early 20th century) for the Paris to Istanbul train (that did exist in the late 1800's).  I assume that setting the action on the historically accurate train might have caused problems with the copyright holders of the various multimedia versions of Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express".

I think even those who do not appreciate science fiction will enjoy this one. 

Enjoy the story, and I hope to see you all on the first Saturday of December.

The story is available at:

http://www.baenebooks.com/10.1125/Baen/9781625790958/9781625790958.htm?blurb  

The link will take you to an index page.  Click on the word "contents" at the top right corner of that first page, then click the name of the story on the next web page.

Meeting Place: 

Webchat: http://koach.com/cha...readers_corner 

mIRC Users: /server -m chat3.koach.com:6667 -j #readers_corner

You are encouraged to bring leftover pumpkin pie and egg nog to the chat.  Don't forget to bring a friend.

The chat scheduled for last Saturday (December 5th) was postponed and will be held at the regular time on December 12th, 2015.  Details regarding the story are included in the forum entry from November 22nd.

Things ganged up on us, there was a power failure in the New York area that knocked three or our regular chatters off line, several other regular members had personal commitments which prevented there attendance.  The four of us who did manage to get to the chat felt that the story deserved a rescheduled discussion by a larger number of our Readers Corner members.  

LOG ATTACHED;  readers log 12 12 2015.rtf